We're a programming community made up of over 2,500 programmers (and 800+ crowdfunders) in Berkeley, just across the Bay from San Francisco. Visit the portal or scroll down to learn more!
There are many great tech events happening in San Francisco and Oakland, but not enough towards Berkeley and El Cerrito, so this group currently focuses on those areas. Also, while some groups focus on specific language or types of programming, we're open to all kinds of programming, not just web development.
How We Are Different
- We are building a local community of friendly, creative, highly-motivated programmers in the Berkeley area.
- We're open to all programming languages, all levels of ability, and all types of programming (scientific computing, hardware, systems programming, Web development, game programming, computer graphics, and more). If you like things like data science, lisps, logic, puzzles, and esolangs, you will probably find like-minded people here.
- We're working towards the establishment of a local programming space and educational center in Berkeley.
- If you are looking for a job, we would like to help you find a job -- and if you're just programming because you love programming, or you are interested in entrepreneurship instead of getting a job, this community is ideal for those things as well.
Programming Bootcamp Alternative
You can attend our meetings as a self-directed, coding bootcamp alternative. Experienced programmers in the group can offer mentorship on a project-based approach to learning. This community is self-directed -- if you would like assistance with forming a study plan, let us know in the forum, chatroom, and/or at the meetups.
What we do:
- Learn how to build software
- Prepare to get into a code school or use the group as a bootcamp alternative!
- Learn new skills
- Meet friendly, creative people
- Form study groups
- Build monthly projects
- Work through interesting programming books with a group
- Take online courses together
- Create study plans and work through them
- Pair programming – online and in-person
- Collaborate on the monthly projects
- Attend hackathons
- Bring in experts to present and tutor
- Make programming accessible to new people
- And much more…
Ideas for Topics
- Functional programming: Haskell, Elm, Elixir, Erlang, Lisp, Scheme, and more
- Python web development: Flask, Django, etc.
- Data science: statistics, machine learning, and visualization: D3.js, Python, R, and much more
- PHP: Drupal, Laravel, Silex
- Anything else people are interested in – this project is for self-directed learners
Email us at [email protected].
More information is coming soon...