We're a programming community made up of over 1,700 programmers (and 700+ crowdfunders) in the San Francisco Bay Area. Visit the portal or scroll down to learn more!
You can join our East Bay Meetups, online discussion forum, use our wiki, find resources in our blog, sign up for our email newsletter, read about our plans for an educational center, and follow us on Twitter, YouTube, Google Plus, and Facebook.
We have a Slack chatroom which you can access after attending one of our meetings. (If you aren't in the Berkeley area, send us an email to get chatroom access.) There are many great tech events happening in San Francisco and Oakland, but not enough towards Berkeley and El Cerrito, so this group currently focuses on those areas. Also, while some groups focus on specific language or types of programming, we're open to all kinds of programming, not just web development.
How We Are Different
- We are building a local community of friendly, creative, highly-motivated programmers in the Berkeley area.
- We're open to all programming languages, all levels of ability, and all types of programming (scientific computing, hardware, systems programming, Web development, game programming, computer graphics, and more). If you like things like data science, lisps, logic, puzzles, and esolangs, you will probably find like-minded people here.
- We're working towards the establishment of a local programming space and educational center in Berkeley.
- If you are looking for a job, we would like to help you find a job -- and if you're just programming because you love programming, or you are interested in entrepreneurship instead of getting a job, this community is ideal for those things as well.
Programming Bootcamp Alternative
You can attend our meetings as a self-directed, coding bootcamp alternative. Experienced programmers in the group can offer mentorship on a project-based approach to learning. This community is self-directed -- if you would like assistance with forming a study plan, let us know in the forum, chatroom, and/or at the meetups.
What we do:
- Learn how to build software
- Prepare to get into a code school or use the group as a bootcamp alternative!
- Learn new skills
- Meet friendly, creative people
- Form study groups
- Build monthly projects
- Work through interesting programming books with a group
- Take online courses together
- Create study plans and work through them
- Pair programming – online and in-person
- Collaborate on the monthly projects
- Attend hackathons
- Bring in experts to present and tutor
- Make programming accessible to new people
- And much more…
Some ideas for topics and books:
- Fundamentals of Python Data Structures by Kenneth Lambert
- Flask and Django topics
- Data science: statistics, machine learning, and visualization: D3.js, Python, R, and much more
- Work through Land of Lisp, Realm of Racket, or SICP
- Build some Ruby on Rails projects
- Explore Haskell
- Learn how to develop on top of WordPress and Drupal
- Anything else people are interested in – this project is for self-directed learners
Email us at [email protected].
More information is coming soon...