We're a programming club and bootcamp alternative made up of over 1,000 developers in the Berkeley area (near San Francisco). You can join our East Bay Meetups, online discussion forum, use our wiki, find resources in our blog, sign up for our email newsletter, read about an idea for an educational center, and follow us on Twitter, YouTube, Google Plus, and Facebook.
We have a Slack chatroom which you can access after attending one of our meetings. (If you aren't in the Berkeley area, send us an email to get chatroom access.) There are many great tech events happening in San Francisco and Oakland, but not enough towards Berkeley and El Cerrito, so this group currently focuses on those areas.
Programming Bootcamp Alternative
What we cover:
- Learn how to build web applications and other software
- Prepare to get into a code school or use the group as a bootcamp alternative!
- Learn new skills
- Meet creative people
- Form study groups
- Build monthly projects
- Work through interesting programming books with a group
- Take online courses together
- Create study plans and work through them
- Pair programming – online and in-person
- Collaborate on the monthly projects
- Attend hackathons
- Bring in experts to present and tutor
- Make programming accessible to new people
- And much more…
Some ideas for topics and books:
- Fundamentals of Python Data Structures by Kenneth Lambert
- Flask and Django topics
- Data science: statistics, machine learning, and visualization: D3.js, Python, R, and much more
- Work through Land of Lisp, Realm of Racket, and SICP
- Build some Ruby on Rails projects
- Explore Haskell
- Learn how to develop on top of WordPress and Drupal
- Anything else people are interested in – this project is for self-directed learners
Email us at [email protected].
More information is coming soon...