Code Self Study
Self-study computer programming in a community of like-minded people
We're a friendly programming community made up of over 5,000 programmers in Berkeley and the San Francisco Bay Area. All programming languages and levels of experience are welcome!Join the Community
We meet every Wednesday and Saturday in Berkeley. Get out of your room and meet like-minded programmers. If you can't make it to the events in California, you can still join our online community from anywhere in the world.
The experienced members in the group help the beginners. Bring your programming questions, and don't hesitate to ask. We can also help you design study plans. The model is self-study with mentorship.
It's easier to get a job when you know people in the industry. Many people in the group have gotten jobs through networking or through tips they've acquired from other group members.
What We Do
There are dozens of local meetup groups that teach people how to code. Here are some ways that we are different from most other groups:
- We are building a local community of friendly, creative, highly-motivated programmers in the Berkeley area.
- We're open to all programming languages, all levels of ability, and all types of programming (machine learning, scientific computing, hardware, systems programming, Web development, game programming, computer graphics, WebAssembly and more). If you like things like data science, lisps, logic, puzzles, esolangs, and mathematics you will probably find like-minded people here.
- We're working towards the establishment of a local programming space and educational center in Berkeley.
- If you are looking for a job, we would like to help you find a job -- and if you're just programming because you love programming, or you are interested in entrepreneurship instead of getting a job, this community is ideal for those things as well.
- The format is self study with advice and mentorship from the more experienced members. We can help you with study plans and guidance — just let us know at a meetup or in the forum.
- We have extra events and resources for people on the autism spectrum.
Coding Bootcamp Supplement
You can attend our meetings as a self-directed, coding bootcamp supplement or alternative. Experienced programmers in the group can offer mentorship on a project-based approach to learning.
This community is self-directed — if you would like assistance with forming a study plan, let us know in the forum, chatroom, and/or at the meetups.